College staff data
Source of the personal data
SFC collects core staffing data directly from colleges.
Aggregate staff salary data is collected from the Colleges Development Network. While this is generally not identifiable, in some instances where there are small categories of individuals involved identification may be possible.
Categories of personal data collected
SFC collects the following categories of personal data about college members of staff:
- Permanent/temporary contract.
- Employed full time/part time/FTE.
- Teaching/non-teaching staff.
- If staff have a teaching qualification.
- If staff are considered to have a long term health condition or disability.
- Equalities monitoring information.
- Institution of employment.
Purposes of processing
SFC processes college staff data so far as it is necessary for:
- Assessing the financial requirements of colleges.
- Assessing colleges’ equality and diversity.
- Monitoring College institutions’ educational outcomes.
- Monitoring institutional sustainability and governance.
- Providing European Social Fund (ESF) funding to College Institutions and monitor and audit their compliance with ESF requirements.
- To provide statistical data on College in Scotland.
Legal basis for processing
SFC processes college staff data so far as it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in SFC.
SFC processes college staff special category data so far as it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of law under:
- Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992.
- Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 2005.
- Post-16 Education (Scotland) Act 2013.
Recipients of the data
SFC shares college staff data with other public sector bodies to allow them to carry out their tasks in the public interest and to carry out their statutory functions. SFC may share personal data with:
- The Scottish Government.
- The European Commission.
- Skills Development Scotland.
- Regional Strategic Bodies (aka Joint Regional Boards).
SFC uses third parties for some of its IT systems which are used to hold and process personal data.