Register with us to view a personalised homepage and to receive emails relating to your interests.

Save this page

Advice for students

We don’t fund individual students as our funding goes directly to colleges and universities but see below for further advice.



Applications for our student support funds are made directly to the college. Colleges cannot use these funds for school age students who are still at school or for students who are studying for a qualification above the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework level 6. 

Residency requirements are set out in the Further Education Residency Guide [PDF].

Students should refer to individual colleges for information on specific courses. For advanced level courses, i.e. those at SCQF level 7 (HNC) or above, students may be eligible for funding from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Email: for more information.


Applications by Scottish and EU-domiciled students for the payment of course fees and student support funds should be made to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). SAAS will be able to advise if you meet the residency criteria and if you are eligible to have your fees paid.

We do, however, provide funding to cover tuition fees for a set number of places on taught postgraduate courses at various Scottish universities. This funding is paid directly to universities and not to individual students. Further details on applying for SFC funded postgraduate places are available from the relevant university.

International students

The British Council provides various details on scholarships and financial support for students who live outwith the EU and are interested in studying in the UK.


Guide to learner funding 2017 to 2018 (Scottish Government website) provides guidance on the funding available for learners in college and university.