SFC news published since 2018. See SFC archived content for earlier news articles.

Three college students with a mechanics professor.

Photo: Edinburgh College

The latest report on staffing in Scotland’s colleges has been published today by the Scottish Funding Council. Now in its eighth year, the report covers the period from 2014 to 2023.

Today’s figures show that colleges employed 10,957 full-time equivalent (FTE) staff in 2022-23. Although this represents a 1.1 per cent decrease on the previous year, it is 1.5 per cent higher than the point at which SFC first started to collect the data. Within the total FTE figure, just under half (49 per cent) were teaching staff with the remaining 51 per cent employed in non-teaching roles.

The report’s annual look at teaching qualifications amongst college staff found that the proportion of full-time permanent teaching staff with a recognised teaching qualification has risen by almost two per cent since 2021-22.

The publication also covers the gender mix amongst college staff. According to the new figures, females accounted for 61 per cent of the full staff headcount in 2022-23 and 52 per cent of senior management staff.

The long-term trend points to an increasing age profile in college staff overall. The proportion of staff aged 51 and over has increased by 6.1 percentage points since 2014-15.

Full details are now available at College Staffing Data 2022-23.